In 2016, we predicted that visual content (e.g, videos, images, memes, infographics) would be a dominant content marketing trend, attracting more engagement in the upcoming year.
Considering the 2017 Digital Marketing Analytics Performance Report released by TrackMaven, this prediction seems to have come true.
The comprehensive study that interviewed nearly 700 businesses across 13 industries revealed an astounding growth of social media platforms in the content marketing world.
Interestingly, among all popular social media networks, Instagram stood out significantly with a massive engagement across all industries except the real estate domain.
What Does This Indicate?
With the burgeoning Internet penetration and social media usage, the results of the study are hardly surprising. However, it does reiterate one thing - your performance on social media campaign will signficantly impact your overall content marketing outreach in the coming year.
Therefore, it’s important for your content marketing team to factor in the current impact of social media outreach and devise a robust strategy to boost your engagement moving forward.
While building compelling content for your social media audience is crucial, it’s equally vital to consider the best time to publish it.
Studies have found social media content tends to perform better when shared at specific time slots. Essentially, the best practices recommend keeping the peak time in mind for your industry.
So, let’s take a look at the suitable time for popular social media platforms.
Best Time to Post on Facebook
Facebook is arguably one of the best platforms for brand building and outreach campaigns. According to Techcrunch, Facebook now has a staggering 2 billion monthly users.
In order to take advantage of this huge opportunity, you should have a well-planned content publishing strategy in place.
You can’t afford to publish too few or too many posts per day. In order to strike the perfect balance, you should post about 5-10 posts a day, scheduled at a regular interval.
As for the best time for engagement on Facebook, keep the following thumb rules in mind:
- If you want to get optimum click-through rate (CTR) for your social content, consider posting your content between 1-4 pm.
- If you’re planning to target your audience on weekends, be sure to post your content between 12-1 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
- If you’re planning to share your content across workweeks, 3 pm on Wednesday and 1-4 pm on Thursday/Friday are the best time.
- Avoid scheduling any content before 9 am or after 9 pm on weekends or holidays.
Best Time to Post on Twitter
While microblogging platform Twitter has comparatively fewer users than Facebook, it still has an astounding outreach in terms of impact.
According to Statista, as of the third quarter of 2017, Twitter has an average of 330 monthly active users.
However, based on the sheer impact of a brand can leave in terms of engagement and outreach, Twitter offers an astounding opportunity.
Consider the following tweet which tops the list of the best tweets of 2017.
Needless to say, brands can make it big (or spoil the party) if they know how to use Twitter for brand building.
Of course, apart from following the best practices, you should also know when to tweet to make the most of the opportunity.
Here’s a what you should know:
- The best time to tweet is between 12-3 pm and 5 pm considering the commute time for most users.
- Weekdays are the best time to tweet although weekends can be favorable to some brands.
- If you want to maximize your RT’s and CTR, consider posting tweets in the afternoon, i.e, 3 pm or 5-6 pm.
Best Time to Post on Instagram
As stated earlier, Instagram has been a favorite hangout zone for many social media users. According to Statista, the photo-sharing app has over 800 million active users at the moment.
Moreover, nearly half of the Instagram users in the US use it daily.
Here’s when you should post on Instagram to get optimum outreach for your content.
- Being a photo and video sharing platform, Instagram usage time would be confined to off-work hours. Many outlets have reported success on Mondays between 8-9 am, which correlates to the morning commute hours.
- In general, it’s found that the best time to post content on Instagram is Monday and Thursday at any time other than 3-4 pm.
- Similarly, the best time to post videos is from 9 pm to 8 am on any day.
Best Time to Post on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is different from the other social network platforms in that it attracts mostly professionals. In fact, 25% of US adults use LinkedIn for growth their professional networks.
Considering that, the half a billion active LinkedIn users seems like a big deal.
Moreover, unlike Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, LinkedIn users don’t frequent the site on a daily basis. In fact, more than half the LinkedIn users visit the site only less than once a week.
- If you’re planning to post content on LinkedIn to attract leads and build authority, keep the following stats in mind.
- Content on LinkedIn performs better towards the middle of the week, i.e, between Tuesday and Thursday.
- LinkedIn being a professional network shows different behavior than other social networks. For a high CTR (Click Through Rate), consider publishing content during the commute hours — 7:30 to 8:30 am and 5-6 pm.
- Similarly, content posted around the lunch hour, ie. 12 pm tends to perform better as well.
While the above timings have a proven success for many brands, by no means, it will work for each and every brand. Products and services can vary greatly from business to business, and therefore, the social content you create could be unique enough to defy the thumb rules above. The best advice is to test different time slots, measure the performance and devise your own posting schedule for best performance.
Have you noticed any success with specific posting strategies across social media channels? Share your thoughts with us!
About the Author
Susanta Sahoo is founder and chief content marketing strategist at Top League Technologies, a digital marketing start-up in Bhubaneswar, India. By offering SEO consulting services, he helps SMB’s build their online presence and boost ROI. Follow him on Twitter: @ugosus.