Anyone can create a blog. But it takes someone special to create a good blog, and a blog that just may turn into a career, or that at least lands you thousands of dollars worth of free swag. From car bloggers to fashion bloggers, the blogging world is becoming a competitive one. Some use blogging as a form of expression, and while it may begin it that way for others, it can quickly become a race to the top of the blogging world. Fighting for the most advertising, sponsorship and giveaways. Blogging is quickly turning into a great marketing scheme for companies to promote their products through the average consumer- who happens to tell thousands of people about their daily lives. It’s a win-win situation, the company can easily reach out to thousands of consumers through a great review from a blogger and the blogger ends up with a pair of $1000 Louboutins, an Audi or a trip to Australia. Yes, it’s true. Company sponsorship for bloggers can include anything from product gifts to tropical vacations to invites to exclusive events like runway shows, pre-screenings, industry trade shows and collaborations with top companies. The A-list blogger is typically not a faceless person, hiding behind their computer screen– rather, they are quickly thrust into the online spotlight, with thousands of readers a day, combined with thousands of followers, fan pages and emails. They are asked to speak at events, ceremonies and social media conferences. Soon, they’re blog becomes more than just a blog but an example of what it takes to make it to the top of the social publishing world. But how do you get there, to blogging stardom?
A few tips:
1. Network: like, follow, tweet, retweet, link up, comment on every blog and blogger you find that relates to your topic
2. Identify the key bloggers in your field: reach out to them personally, compliment their work and ask them to add you to their list of favorite blogs, or to read some of your work.
3. Create accounts on every social media/publishing site you can think of, and link them all together. You can gain endless new readers and followers.
4. Don’t be afraid to approach companies to advertise or sponsor you. Want to attend an event so you can write about it on your blog after? Approach an affiliated company and pitch them the idea- they may just buy your ticket if you mention them in your post.
5. Post as often as you can, everyday is best, but make sure its quality. A limited number of people will continue reading your blog if you post 5 times a day, but each time is a mindless fact.
To read and connect with some great blogs visit the various contributors to tribes on Atomic Reach.